Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that has no color or odor. There is no way for you to tell it is in your home in Cheyenne, WY, unless you have a carbon monoxide detector. Exposure to carbon monoxide can quickly cause serious health effects, and prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide could be deadly. Understanding how carbon monoxide can get into your home in Cheyenne and recognizing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning allow you to take prompt actions to protect your health.

How Carbon Monoxide Gets Into Your Home

Carbon monoxide gets into your home if fuel isn’t fully burned. A faulty furnace, an oven or a water heater could cause it. Carbon monoxide is also in the exhaust of diesel, propane and gasoline engines as well as that of gas and charcoal grills.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Loss of balance
  • Memory and vision problems
  • Unconsciousness

Pregnant women, babies and the elderly are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. If more than one person in your home has more than one of these symptoms, seek medical care. Pets can also be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning. If your pet is unwell and you also feel sick, exit your home and seek medical and veterinary help.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

There are several actions you can take in order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home, and check it every six months. Schedule regular tune-ups of your gas-powered appliances, including your furnace and water heater. Have your chimney and other flues and vents swept once per year. Never leave an engine running in your garage or near any of your home’s doors, vents or windows. Avoid using charcoal, propane or gasoline in your home.

We offer emergency repairs of gas furnaces and suspected carbon monoxide problems. Our technicians also provide duct cleaning services and heating and cooling inspections, maintenance, repairs and installations. Contact us at Advanced Comfort Solutions today for more information about how carbon monoxide affects your health and well-being.

company icon